Year of Revisiting #15 – Bridget Jones
“I like you very much … just as you are.”
After reading Mad About the Boy and seeing Bridget Jones’s Baby, which was charming and delightful (I may have teared up a time or two), I was feeling nostalgic for early Bridget Jones. It had been years since I’d seen her.
Bridget Jones’s Diary and Bridget Jones: The End of Reason were like old friends popping into my television with warmth, comfort, and humor. Disappointed in love and harangued by friends and family over marriage and babies, Bridget is a hero for every 30-something singleton who spends her nights alone guzzling wine in a matching pajama set. Bridget is not desperate, but she is uncertain and a little insecure, which drives her to be silly, ridiculous, and needy at times. I adore her.
- Daniel Cleaver loves Bridget’s enormous panties.
- Both Daniel and Mark Darcy, unannounced and sometimes unwelcome, just drop by Bridget’s place. It’s disruptive but ultimately it’s these visits that move the romance forward. If Darcy had texted Bridget first, we wouldn’t have gotten the slightly awkward, totally charming dinner party where he meets Bridget’s friends and they eat blue soup. It makes me a little sad that spontaneity and surprise have been snuffed out by ever-present iPhones and text messages. (I do love emojis, though.👗☘ 🍙)
- “I will always be just a little bit fat.”
- Actual fights + fantastic soundtracks:
- In The Edge of Reason, Darcy is not exactly winning Boyfriend of the Year. He repeatedly leaves her alone with people she doesn’t know, in places that are unfamiliar, most notably at the top of a ski slope.
- Bridget Jones’s Diary follows the “I like you just as you are” scene with one of the best illustrations of that period when someone goes from a nobody, even an enemy, to a lover in your heart. Since I can’t find a clip, “Tale as Old as Time” from Beauty and the Beast will have to illustrate my point: “Barely even friends, then somebody bends, unexpectedly…”
Photo: 30-something singleton alone guzzling wine in a matching pajama set 🍷😉, November 2016